1. Read in the name of your Lord Who created.
2. He created man from a clot.
3. Read and your Lord is Most Honorable,
4. Who taught (to write) with the pen
5. Taught man what he knew not.
6. Nay! man is most surely inordinate,
7. Because he sees himself free from want.
8. Surely to your Lord is the return.
9. Have you seen him who forbids
10. A servant when he prays?
11. Have you considered if he were on the right way,
12. Or enjoined guarding (against evil)?
13. Have you considered if he gives the lie to the truth and turns (his) back?
14. Does he not know that Allah does see?
15. Nay! if he desist not, We would certainly smite his forehead,
16. A lying, sinful forehead.
17. Then let him summon his council,
18. We too would.summon the braves of the army.
19. Nay! obey him not, and make obeisance and draw nigh (to Allah).