1. I swear by the daybreak,
2. And the ten nights,
3. And the even and the odd,
4. And the night when it departs.
5. Truly in that there is an oath for those who possess understanding.
6. Have you not considered how your Lord dealt with Ad,
7. (The people of) Aram, possessors of lofty buildings,
8. The like of which were not created in the (other) cities;
9. And (with) Samood, who hewed out the rocks in the valley,
10. And (with) Firon, the lord of hosts,
11. Who committed inordinacy in the cities,
12. So they made great mischief therein?
13. Therefore your Lord let down upon them a portion of the chastisement.
14. Most surely your Lord is watching.
15. And as for man, when his Lord tries him, then treats him with honor and makes him lead an easy life, he says: My Lord honors me.
16. But when He tries him (differently), then straitens to him his means of subsistence, he says: My Lord has disgraced me.
17. Nay! but you do not honor the orphan,
18. Nor do you urge one another to feed the poor,
19. And you eat away the heritage, devouring (everything) indiscriminately,
20. And you love wealth with exceeding love.
21. Nay! when the earth is made to crumble to pieces,
22. And your Lord comes and (also) the angels in ranks,